Artificial intelligence (AI) and natural language processing (NLP) have really assisted the evolution of chatbots, as they’re now extremely sophisticated tools that can be used to automate a variety of business processes. AI-powered chatbots can be extremely useful for handling customer care enquiries and are also ideal to use for marketing initiatives and to push customers through the sales procedure.
Ways in which chatbots can be used in marketing
The following discussion highlights a number of ways chatbots can be used to improve the marketing process:
- Providing a personalised experience – chatbots can personalise interactions with consumers as they are integrated with social media so can gather data on persons they interact with. An example would be where chatbots are used to answer customer care enquiries. Once the chatbot has answered the query correctly it can be programmed to take the conversation a step further along the line by offering the customer personalised shopping advice, based on their previous buying history and preferences.
- Ability to reach a wider audience – as chatbots are often found on social media messaging platforms they have abilities to reach an almost infinite number of people. It’s possible to reach out to a new customer base for any brand simply by hitting on new demographics, and they can also be integrated into multiple messaging apps. This makes brands more readily available to provide assistance to customers and opens up new opportunities for increased sales.
- Offer greater engagement capacity – chatbots are not only useful for customer engagement, they can also retain them. In this way, chatbots keep customers engaged much longer. Chatbots can catch the attention of a customer and learn from the interaction, so it’s able to up-sell and cross-sell in a highly personalised and engaging manner. This type of interaction provides far greater engagement opportunity than, say, a video upload which may initially catch a customer’s attention, but once it’s finished there is nothing more on offer.
- Sending notifications – chatbots can be programmed to send relevant, personalised notifications to customers via social media, cutting out any need to constantly email or message consumers each and every time your brand has updates or business notifications to share.
- Chatbots can gather and analyse customer data and feedback – chatbots offer a valuable opportunity to gather information from customers. Very often consumers are reluctant to spend time filling in questionnaires; however, chatbots can be used to gradually introduce questions into any conversation. With the correct machine learning tools, any chatbot can analyse information and feedback received from customers, allowing more insight and perception into what’s required from your brand. This makes it a simple matter to remodel the existing marketing strategy to make it more focused on meeting consumer needs.
- Make interactions fun and exciting – chatbots are useful for the delivery of quality information to customers, but can also be used to make interactions more fun and interesting for consumers and leave a lasting impression.
- Useful for moving customers quickly and seamlessly through the sales process – lead nurturing can be extremely time-consuming. With chatbots it’s quick and easy to gather required information and create personalised messages to guide customers through their buying journey.
Messaging apps are a leading way for brands to reach out to consumers, so it’s no surprise chatbots have become so popular. Implementing chatbots makes it easy to learn more about customers, tailor marketing efforts and reach out to new customers.